Palak is a very healthy green which has all the good for a healthy body .Mainly it is iron rich and has more dietery fiber like other green leaves.It has more vitamin A good for eyesight and prevents oral and lung cavities cancers.It has more vitamin k which is good for bone strengthening activity .Fresh greens has good amount of vitamin B and Vitamin C .For more details about the health benefits of this green vegetable click here.
Whenever i buy palak i used to do this dal because my husband likes this much .This has all the nutrition you want for a day and its very tasty too .So dig in ...
Preparation time:15 min(cooking the dal+clean the palak)
Cooking time:20 min
- 1/4 bunch palak leaves
- 3/4 cup moong dal
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 5 green chilies
- 1/4 tsp sambar powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of hing.
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- salt as required
- 1 tbsp oil for tempering.
- 1 tbsp ghee(optional)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
- Pressure cook the moong dal until mushy /soft with turmeric and hing.
- Cut the onion and tomato in to thin slices and slit the green chilies.
- Clean the palak leaves and cut them in to 1 inch pieces
- In a saute pan add oil when its hot add mustard seeds.
- Add Jeera after the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add onion and saute them for few minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the onions are translucent
- Add tomato and saute it until its cooked through.
- Add cleaned and cut palak leaves and saute it for 2-3 min until it releases juice.
- Add the cooked mashed dal and add few more cups of water until you get the required consistency.
- Add required salt and sambar/chili powder.
- When it boils check for salt and heat .
- Add ghee to the dal and serve it hot .
- This can be served with idly,dosas,rotis ,rice so its all in one side dish.
- If you want more palak you can add it but according to me the less spinach is good.
- Adjust the heat according to your taste buds.
- Addition of ghee is optional .