Snake gourd has many benifits :its good for diabetics ,it relieves constipation ,it get the mucus out of respiratory system as a natural anti- biotic .While consuming the snacke guard remove the white center part with seeds .Consuming of seeds can cause indigestion problems .
Compared to other similar vegetables like chinese okra this is easy to cut and consume (according to me ) .You can eat it as a salad with little pepper and lemon juice as well ,by then you have to cut them in to very thin slices .You can prepare it as a semi liquid gravy by pressure cooking it with dals and green chili.Will gradully post other recipes soon ..
Searching for some other side dish recipes? check pumpkin curry,Banana fry,Mix veg curry with coconut
Prepration time:5 min
Cooking time:20 min +10 min
- 1 snake guard(medium size)
- 2 green chilies
- oil for tempering
- salt as required
- 3 tbsp toor dal
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- Pressure cook the toor dal for 2 whistles (not mushy)
- Cut the snake guard lengthwise and separate them in half and clean th white soft part in the middle with the seeds.
- Stack them together and cut it in to thin slices .
- Heat the saute pan with oil and temper it wth items "to temper".
- Add snake guard,green chilies and saute it until snakeguard looses it moisture
After 15 min
- Finally add the cooked toor dal .
- Combine them well together .
- Your curry is finished and you are ready to eat .
- Serve it with rasam rice,Kulambu/Spicy gravy rice/roti .
- You can also replace toor dal with coconut .
- When you do the snake gourd curry it may be sometimes bitter, to check whether they are not bitter take a little peace with ur nails and eat it ,If its not bitter then you can select the gourd.
- If the snake guard has threads while cutting then you can very well do this curry (not to worry).
- If the snake gourd is fresh ,then the curry should taste awesome .
- Snake gourd can stay fresh for one week in refrigerator by covering them in plastic wrap .