A Traditional Tamil lunch usually has a Kootu (கூட்டு) and a Porial (பொறியல் ) as side dishes.
Kootu usually has a vegetable and a Dal simmered together. This particular recipe uses green gram instead of dal and it also uses coconut.
Nagarathar's were renowned traders. They had businesses in South East Asia including Burma, Malaysia and Singapore. The use of coconut and exotic spices in Chettinad cuisine is due to the Burmese influence.
Preparation time:5 min
Cooking time:10-15 min
- 1 slice White Pumpkin.
- 1/4 cup split green gram .
- 1 small onion.
- Oil as required
- Salt as required.
- 1 green chili.
- 1 tbsp grated coconut.
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds.
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds.
- A pinch of asofoetida
- A strand of Curry leaves.
- Grind the items in the to grind list.
- Pressure cook the Greengram.
- Cut the White Pumpkin into 1 inch Pieces.
- Add oil to the heated saute pan and add the items to temper.
- When the curry leaves sputter add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add Pumpkin and cook until soft.
- Add cooked greengram and salt and cook for 2 mins.
- Finally add the ground items to this and cook it till it comes to a boil.
- pumpkin and greengram kootu is ready to be served.
- You can have it as a side with rice and chapathi .
- Cook the green gram well so that the gravy will be good.
- Add coconut gravy at last