Ads by google

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Egg Gravy Chettinad Style | Muttai Kulambhu

I am not a big fan of Eggs. If and when I do eat them, I make it a point to have hard boiled eggs. As a kid I remember eating boiled eggs in gravy. This was the only way that my mom could get me to eat eggs. I don't eat meat either so I eat eggs twice a week to get protein in my diet.

This egg gravy  (முட்டை  குழம்பு ) recipe is a traditional chettinad/karaikudi recipe. The use of coconut and poppy seeds (கச கசா) makes this dish unique. I made this for lunch today and wanted to share this.





Preparation time:10 min
Cooking time:20 min
Serves:2-3



Ingredients:
  • 3 Eggs Boiled.
  • 1 tbsp Sambar powder/chili powder.
  • 1/4 tsp Garam masala.
  • A pinch of Turmeric Powder.
  • 1 Medium size Onion.
  • 1/2 Country Tomato.
  • 5-6 Garlic pods. 
  • 1 Slit Green Chili.
To Grind:
  • 1 tbsp  grated coconut
  • 1/2 tbsp Fennel Seeds.
  • 1/4 tbsp Cumin Seeds.
  • Small piece Ginger.
  • 1/4 tsp Poppy seeds.
Method:
  • Grind the items in "to Grind " into a fine paste.
  • Hard Boil the eggs. You can boil the eggs in pressure cooker to save time.
  • Remove the shells.
  • Slit the eggs at top and bottom without cutting them into half. 
  • This helps the eggs to absorb some gravy.

  • In a frying pan heat the oil and saute the Onions ,Garlic,Green Chilies.
  • Saute them until Onions are translucent.

  • Add the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes turn soft.

  • Now add Tumeric, Garam masala and Sambar powder one by one.
  • Cook in low heat till the raw smell dissipates.
  • Add 2 1/2 cups of Water to the sauce pan and let it boil.

  • Cook until the volume of water has reduced to half.
  • Now add ground paste to the gravy and boil for 5 min.

  • Finally add the Boiled eggs and cook the gravy  for 2-3 mins .

  • Chettinad Egg Gravy is ready to be served .
  • When making gravy dishes always use low or medium low flame, more the gravy simmers the better it will taste.
  • My Daughter loved it.
  • You can Enjoy it with Rice,Idly ,Dosa.
Note:
  • Make sure you cut the eggs then only eggs absorbs gravy.
You might be intrested in EggplantDrumstick gravy,GarlicPods Shallots Gravy





5 comments:

  1. super de..very useful..my dear friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh love egg curry. Sound of chettinad style make me drool! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. V all I mean v four ppl loves eggs.n Egg gravy is my all Time fav.this I can have vth rotis.

    ReplyDelete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...