This is my first post ever. I thought I would keep it simple and start off with a classic tamil condiment- Idly podi. Pretty much in every tamil kitchen you will find a variant of Idly Podi. This is especially true in our Chettinad kitchens.
My 3 year old is crazy about podi. She loves podi with Dosa & Idly .Especially when she throws a tantrum about eating Idly I will lure her with podi and bingo she will finish the entire thing. My hubby always has to have podi with dosa. It doesn't matter even if there are other sides. It's my favourite too, podi is all you need if you have Idly or Dosa batter.
This Recipe is from my mom with a few variations from my hubby's mom.
- 3/4 cup of Channa dal
- 1/2 cup of urad dal
- 8-10 red chillis
- 1/2 cup curry leaves or 1/4 cup of curry leaves powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp jeera
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- Rock Salt as needed
- Dry roast the all the Ingredients separately.
- Roast the Channa dal & the Urad dal till they change color and get reduced in size. Takes 3 mins for each in medium heat.
- Roast the curry leaves and chillis combined until the curry leaves are crispy . Takes 3 mins in medium heat
- In high heat roast jeera and black pepper until the pepper corns splutter and jeera changes its color. Takes 1 minute.
- Take care not to burn any of ingredients.
- Roast the rock salt for about a minute.
- Let the roasted ingredients cool down.
- Grind them together to the required consistency, We love ours coarse
- Podi is ready to be devoured with sesame (gingely) oil.
This comes handy when you dont have any veggies or you dont feel like doing one.