My little one loves pasta, I guess she takes after me. Fettucini Alfredo is one of my favorites. I make pasta once a week for dinner. Its a quick and easy week night dinner. When buying pasta I usually get the whole wheat or whole grain ones. Pasta dishes with sauce are usually high on calorie count. Using a whole grain pasta is one way to make it a little healthy I guess. I used Whole grain Rotini in this recipe. I made a White (Bechamel) sauce to toss the pasta in. This was the first time I made white sauce and it came out well. Here is the recipe.
Cooking time:30 min
- 1 pound Whole Grain Rotini / Any pasta of your choice.
- 1 tbsp salt.
- 2 cups milk.
- 2 tbsp butter.
- 3 tsp All purpose flour/ Maida.
- 1/2 tbsp grated nutmeg powder.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.
- Boil water in a deep bottomed sauce pan with 1 tbsp salt.
- When it comes to boil (when bubbles raise) add pasta and cook until Al Dente.
- Al Dente means that pasta should have a bite but still cooked through.
- Once cooked drain the pasta thoroughly.
- Reserve some pasta water for the sauce
- Do not over cook the pasta, it will turn mushy and make the dish flavorless.
- Keep the Ingredients for the sauce at hand.
- In a sauce pan add butter .
- Add flour to the butter and saute till it changes color and become sandy consistency (Usually known as making a Rue), do this in a low flame.
- Now add the cold milk (boiled) and keep stirring to avoid any lumps.
- After 5-7 minutes the mixture will thicken up into sauce like consistency.
- If sauce is too thick add the reserved pasta water.
- Now add Parmesan cheese and Grated Nutmeg .
- Now add the cooked rotini pasta to this and toss .
- Serve hot it in pasta bowl with Grated Parmesan Cheese and black pepper.
- Dont cook the pasta with pressure cooker .unless you know the correct time and water to cook them with
- The sauce should be hot otherwise you feel you are eating some rice flour over pasta.
- If you are not worried about fat content add more cheese that gives fantastic flovor to pasta.