Raw Banana (வாழைக்காய்) and Indian egg plant (கத்தரிக்காய்) are two vegetables which get used almost always in Chettinad cuisine. In weddings and functions they get used in a variety of ways.
When I was a kid we used to have Curd rice with Raw banana fry for lunch. It brings me back memories. This is a Chettinad specialty and every house hold has its own version. Off late I have had a hard time finding fresh raw bananas. I got lucky this weekend, I found some fresh bananas in the Indian grocery store. I ended up buying four of them and used two in this recipe.
Preparation time:5 min
Cooking time:20-30 min
- 2 small size raw Bananas.
- 2 tsp Sambar powder.
- 2 tbsp Oil.
- A pinch of Turmeric powder.
- Salt as required.
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds.
- 1/2 tbsp Urad dal.
- 1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds.
- 1 Garlic pod.
- Peel the outer skin from the raw banana.
- Cut it lengthwise down the middle into two halves.
- Cut each half lengthwise along the middle to make four quarters.
- Take each quarter and cut it into thin slices along the width.
- Mix the Turmeric, Salt and Sambar powder.
- Mix this mixture with the raw bananas and let it sit for 10-15 minutes
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Add the garlic pod and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated raw banana mix to the saute pan.
- Reduce the heat and cook it covered until the raw smell of sambar powder dissipates and banana turns soft.
- You do not need to add water, If you cook in a low flame it will cook through and the bananas will be really crispy.
- Raw banana fry is ready to be served.
- Serve hot as a vegetable dish along with Rice and Sambar.
- Fry them well otherwise the dish will be raw.
- Keep the chili,salt mixture well and keep it for sometime so that it coats the banana.