Karupatti paniyarams are synonymous with festive occasions like pillaiyar nonbu and special padaippu
(offerings to ancestors) in chettinad. When we make this, festive season will be around the corner. Like some people say cake baking during winter gives the festive feel. Usually my mom or mother-in-law will give me the dough. Last year I made the dough myself and was so happy. This time too I tried it again and it came out super yummy.
I made this paniyaram for pillaiyar nonbu. I made vada, vellai paniyaram, idly and sambar along with it and offered it to Ganesha. All of them were very good and we enjoyed it.
Preparation time:1 hour(Except keeping them at room temperature for 2 days)
Cooking time :1 hour
- 3 cups raw rice
- 400 grams palm jaggery
- Water for purifying the jaggery and for paniyarams
- Wash and soak the raw rice for 2 hours.
- Drain the water in large strainer or in paper /cloth
- Grind it in a mixer and seive it well.
- I made atleast 6 rounds in mixer.
- By the time you make this grate the jaggery.
- Purify it using little water.
- Filter it using fine strainer.
- Mix the jaggery with the seived flour and make it a dough like chapathi dough (If you feel the dough has enough jaggery stop pouring more and you can use it when you make paniyarams)
- Keep it room temperature for 2-3 days .
- On the day you make paniyarams take the dough and mix them with remaining jaggery ,add little water if required .
- Make it like regular paniyarams consistency.
- Pour them one by one in heated saute pan with oil.
- Pour oil over it and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Flip it and let it cook for few seconds.
- Drain them in kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve them as a snack or dessert.
- You can pat yourself that you did a very good job making everyone happy in your house.
This is the kolam we do on that auspicious day and have a closer look at paniyarams.
- Prepare the dough may be 1 -2 days and paniyarams will taste so good.
- First 3-4 may not look good , I mean you will not get borders .But after that you will get the paniyarams as shown in pic 1 .
- Test the sweetness of one paniyaram if its not enough add remaining jaggery to it and mix well.
- Tare them to see if any raw flour is inside otherwise you are doing good .