Ads by google

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

black channa in peanut curry (கொண்டை கடலை)

I make black channa dishes often.I am vegeterian and to get more protien in my diet I add dal varieties. I have a special liking to this channa inspite of others dals, I don't know why .This channa is very good for eye health and is very rich in protien than white channa. I regularly grind onions and tomatoes and add it to the curry if I make parathas, rotis . But this time I thought of doing something different and bhawnas recipe got my attention and this is my take on the same.


You can check other curries like Rajma gravy,Vegetable kuruma





Preparation time:12 hrs(soaking the channa)
Cooking time:15 min+15 min
Serves:2-3

Ingredients:

  •  1 cup black channa(soaked overnight)
  • 1 medium size onion
  • 1/2 country tomato
  • 1 green chili.
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste.
  • Oil for tempering.
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • salt as required.

Roast and grind:

  • 10 groundnuts.
  • 1/4 tsp sesame seeds.
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds.
  • 2 red chili.
  • 1/2 tsp methi seeds

To temper:

  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
  • 1 inch bayleaf
  • 1 cloves.

Method:



  • Soak the channa dal overnight.
  • Cook it in a pressure cooker until it turns soft.
  • Roast and grind the ingredients in roast and grind list to a coarse powder.
  • If the groundnuts are raw you can roast them seperately.
  • Grind the tomatoes in to puree.or chop them .
  • Cut the onions very thin.
  • Temper the hot kadai with oil in items to temper.
  • Add onions,green chili and saute them for a minute.
  • Add ginger garlic paste and saute it until the onions are translucent.
  • Add the ground tomato paste/tomato and saute it until cook through.
  • Add pinch of turmeric .
  • Cook it for 2-3 min .
  • Add the cooked channa,groundnut mixture to it.
  • Add water if required .
  • Let it come to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • If the gravy is too thin add 1 tsp rice flour to 1 tbsp water and add it to the curry.
  • Serve it with hot rotis,chapathis,parathas of your choice.
  • Serve them with variety rice like coconut rice,lemon rice,plain biriyanis as well.


Linking it to 
priyas event hosted by nandoo





Cusine delights




15 comments:

  1. wow! delicious protein rich curry.

    On-going event: healthy vegetarian side dishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. channa in peanut thats really new to me. Looks really yummy and love those props :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, any kind of legumes are fine. It rotating between them for curries. I like the twist to your channa curry. I am keeping the recipe aside. While I am not a big fan of curries, my other half I bet will be love the wonderful flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy and flavorful Curry. Looks inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very healthy curry dear and loving the flavors

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black chana in peanut looks delicious satya love to have with my dosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very tasty love that you have added peanuts very different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. healthy curry n love the cute leafy bowl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy and protein rich curry .......! Happy to Follow you,wud glad if you follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Introduction of groundnuts makes interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...