Pongal takes me down memory lane to my college days. Us hostelers used to eat pongal on Tuesdays for breakfast. We had a hard time keeping awake in class after eating pongal. I remember that I used to ask questions in classes just to keep awake.
That said I assure you that this recipe wont be heavy, due to the seasonings used. This is a simple and a fast recipe cooked in a pressure cooker. Its also very nutritious. I tweaked my mom and mother in laws recipe and came up with this.
Cooking time:15 min
- 1 cup raw rice (sona masoori).
- 1/2 cup split green gram dal.
- 5 cups water.
- 1 Small piece Ginger.
- 1 Green chillis.
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper.
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera.
- 1 tbsp Ghee.
- Wash the rice and dal separately.
- Add 5 cups of water to the dal rice mixture.
- Pressure cook it for 2 whistle (if you want a little thick consistency) otherwise reduce the water and cook it for 1 whistle.
- Add ghee to the sauce pan.
- Grind the jeera and pepper and add it to ghee and saute for 1 min.
- Add green chillis and ginger and saute for 1 min.
- Add the tempered mixture to the cooked pongal.
- Add salt to pongal and mix well.
- Pongal is ready to be served.
- I made Sambar as the side dish.
- I sometimes add raisins to the pongal to offset the spice for my daughter.
- Pongal has to be cooked well (mushy)
- Add more water than cooking the normal rice.