I got addicted to lime cookies after we ate them at a Thai restaurant near our place. The lady of the restaurant is so kind, she gave us lime cookies after we had dinner. It was so crisp and had a little kick of lime to it. I wanted to make it for such a long time .
I got whole bunch of lime the other day and thought of baking using eggs. I was in a hurry to finish the eggs. We follow a custom not to eat meat during "puratasi" which is a tamil month and it started today. Alas !!! I couldn't find any recipes with egg .
Finally I settled on baking some lime cookies , just for baking something. My little girl loves cookies and sweets.
So while I was looking at the recipe in a hurry, I forgot to notice the powdered sugar mentioned in the recipe and added regular domino sugar (which is little finer compared to Indian sugar) and keep on kneading the dough for sometime .Then I realized that I did something wrong and finally I got to know that the recipe requires powdered sugar. Poor me, anyways I added more ghee to finish the cookies at least to hold their shape.(you can use milk or water ,but it may spoil the shelf life of the cookies ,so I didn't add any).But this is easiest cookie recipe i ever made.
You can make this cookie in a stove top or in the oven. To me both cookies have same texture except the oven baked ones are a little puffy compared to stove top ones .You can top it with sugar if you want the cookie to be fancy. Sprinkle the sugar before you start baking. Pistachios didn't stick well to the cookies for me because the dough didn't have enough moisture. May be next time when I use domino sugar I will melt it and add it to the dough .
easy kids snack
Preparation time:20 min
Cooking time:12-15 min(oven) 8-10 min (stove top)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 stick butter(melted)
- 1 tsp lemon juice/lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar /Best results use powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest/lime zest
- 4 tsp ghee
- 10 pistachios chopped.
- Melt the butter and add it to flour.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest as well .
- Add powdered sugar (I added domino sugar ).
- Add ghee as well .
- Combine all of them together to form a dough.
- Make round shape using your palms (press them hard).Add chopped pistachios on top.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees for 5-10 min.
- Bake in oven for 12 min or until the sides little brown .
- Cool it and store it in airtight container .
- Prepare the dough as mentioned above.
- Place tava on stove .
- Heat it in high flame for 2 min .
- Place the cookie and cook it for 4 minutes
- Flip them(turn them ) carefully not to break and cook it another 4 minutes.
- Careful not to burn the cookies(slight browning wont affect the taste) .
- This method don't puff the cookies and colour is also little brown compared to baked ones
Recipe adopted from veggie platter but altered