A spicy puffed rice recipe made as a evening snack.This puffed rice is favourite for lord muruga ,the star of "karthigai deepam".This festive falls on Tamil month "karthigai" ,the month lord muruga was born. Muruga ,the most beautiful god.In Tamil "murugu" means beautiful. There is a belief that 6 kid's(muruga's) were born(have seen it in a Tamil movie).So 6 is the number favourite to muruga. In Tamilnadu you can see 6 famous muruga shrines
- Thiruthani-Muruga married Valli here.
- Swami malai-Lord muruga teaches meaning of om to lord Shiva
- Thiruparamkundram-Muruga married deivanai here.
- Thiruchendur-Muruga fought against soorapadma here.
- Palani-Muruga stayed here after he fought with his family for a divine fruit.
- PalamudirCholai-Muruga stays with his two wife's Valli and deivanai here.
Now to the puffed rice recipe.I usually do Masala peanuts or poha chivda for evening snack if my dearies are hungry.These 2 are easy to make,But Kara Pori is the easiest of all of the snack.My grandma do this kara pori and pori urundai for karthigai deepam.I failed to make pori urundai this time.So at least i do this Kara pori for lord muruga.
This kara pori is very simple even an amateur cook can do it.I haven't added peanuts(kadalai),Roasted gram(pottukadalai),curry leaves(karuvepilai).If you wish you can very well add before adding the masala.Roast both of them until they change colour.
Instead of adding chili powder you can add mor milagai .To enjoy crunchy kara pori just roast puffed rice(pori separate) 2 -3 minutes before adding to the masala.You can add some veggies,onion to make it masala pori too.
Kara Pori|Puffed Rice RecipeKara Pori-Easy Puffed rice recipe
Cuisine: Indian Category: Snack Serves:2 Prep time: Cook time: 7 minutes Total time: 7 minutes
- 3 cups puffed rice/pori
- 1/4 tsp chili powder/milagai thool
- a big pinch of turmeric/manjal thool
- salt required
- 1 tbsp oil/ennai
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/kadugu
- 1 garlic pod/poondu
- Roast puffed rice for 2-3 minutes until its crisp.
- Combine chili powder,salt,turmeric and keep it.
- Add oil to the tava.
- Add mustard seeds to it.
- After they start to splutter add garlic pod.
- Roast it in oil.Let the oil gets aroma of garlic.
- If you are adding peanuts,roasted gram add it now.Roast it till they changes colour.
- Add the masala mix and mix it.
- Immediately add rice and just mix it once.
- Switch off the flame.
- Kara pori is ready to be served.
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...