Sweets are famous all over North India they are made of sugar where as in Southern India sweets are mostly made with jaggery in the form of payasam/kheer. In North India the staple food is wheat flour whereas in south India the staple food is rice and rice flour. Accordingly you can find variety of foods made with rice/rice flour in Southern India whereas Northern India has many wheat flour recipes. I have never tried this wheat flour halwa before .
This is a rich and flavourful halwa it resembles the taste of ukkara made in chettinad. I made measurements using subzi cups used in thali plates.The amount you get is more than enough for 2 servings /2 persons.If you are dieting and still want to enjoy this halwa reduce the ghee quantity to 1/2 mentioned here .
This halwa i made for a challenge from shh cooking secretly member shailaja .She gave two secret ingredients wheat flour and jaggery then while searching the web i found divinetaste blog and found this wonderful recipe .
Cooking Time:10-12 min
- 3/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 3/4 Thick jaggery Syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 3 badam for garnishing
- Melt the jaggery by adding water to it.Filter it (if there is any impurities)
- Roast whole wheat flour in 3 tbsp of ghee(can use less) .
- Until the raw smell goes off and wheat flour turns little brown.
- Add the purified jaggery syrup to the roasted wholewheat flour .
- Halwa starts to give out the excess ghee out in a minute .
- Add chopped badam to it and serve immediately .
- Amount of ghee mentioned here gives a very rich taste .Reduce the ghee level if you are in diet.
- I usually do ghee at home to save money and get a pure ghee .
Linking it to back to school by haffas kitchen