"Pulao" is made of coconut milk or ground coconut without any mint leaves .My mom makes this pulo very often when we run out time or we have lot of vegetables left in our pantry.
.If you have some left over veggies at the end of the week you can do this and you feel your meals is so special .Even cookng time for this is very less with the use of pressure cooker .Such a easy and healthy pulao ,you don't even need any raita for it .Just scoop in the rice and your tummy asks for more .
Preparation time:15 min
Soaking time:30 min
Cooking time:20-25 min
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice.
- 1 1/2 cup veggies
- 3 cups water (including the water used for grninding the coconut)
- salt as required
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- little chili powder(optional)
- 1 onion/periya vengayam
- 1 small tomato/thakkali
- 1/2 lemon juice(1 tbsp)
- 1 bay leaf/brinji elai
- 1 small cinnamon stick/pattai
- 1 cardamom/elakai
- 1 inch ginger/enchi
- 3 garlic cloves/poondu
- 3 tbsp coconut/thengai
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds/sombu
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/Jeeragam
- 1/2 tsp black pepper/milagu
- 1/2 tsp kas kas/kasa kasa
- 2-3 cashews(optional)/Mundhiri
- 1 clove/Krambu
- 4 -5 green chilies/Pacha milagai
- Soak basmati rice for 1/2 hour .Drain the excess water out .
- Wash,peel and chop the veggies .(I added 1/2 beetroot,1 carrot,1/4 chayote,1 small potato ,few butter beans.
- Grind the ingredients mentioned in to grind (ginger,garlic,coconut,fennel seeds,Cumin seeds,pepper,kas kas,cashews,clove,green chilies)
- Finely chop the onions.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 tsp oil and 1 tsp ghee .
- Add tempering items(bay leaves,cinnamon,cardamom)
- Add required salt .
- Check the salt and spice when the liquid boils.
- If they are not enough add them at this stage.
- When its hot add lime juice to it and mix well .
- Serve it hot with you choice of curry or dig them as is without any sides.
Some easy one pot meals
- Mushroom fried rice
- Peas pulao/rice
- Lime rice
- Coconut rice
- Mint pulao/rice
- Mushroom Biriyani
Choice of vegetables:
- carrot,chayote(chow-chow),butter beans,potato,peas ,cauliflower,beetroot.
- Propably you will need 4-5 green chilies and little chili powder for the amount of rice mentioned here .
- You can skip adding cashews and ghee.
- Add lemon juice to the riceat the end of cooking.
- Check the salt before you close the lid(before pressure cooking)
Linking this recipe to gayathris arinellikkai oorukai