Coconut RiceCoconut is a wonderful vegetable that I love. It has lots of calcium and nutrition ,which is good for teeth and bones. It has good cholesterol too. Coconut is very versatile it can be used a flavor enhancer, a condiment like in chutneys or you make it the feature of your dish. Coconut when boiled for too long is not very healthy.
I used to buy frozen coconut .But I love the taste of fresh coconut. In a local store I found fresh coconuts, I brought one and grated it and stored it. Coconut Rice is a dish that we used to have during our school days. My husband loves this rice .Once in a while when I buy a fresh coconut I make this for him. My little one loves coconut in any from.
Check for other rice recipes like Tomato Pulav,Mint Pulav,Pongal
Preparation Time:10 min
Cooking Time:15 min.
- 1/4 of small coconut(grated).
- 1 cup raw Rice.
- 3 green chilies.
- salt as required
- oil for tempering.(coconut oil is optional)
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds.
- 1/4 tbsp split Channa dal.
- A Pinch of hing.
- Little curry leaves powder/Few Curry leaves.
- Wash the rice and pressure cook it with little oil and required water ( Add the exact amount of water)
- Cook for one whistle and reduce the flame and cook it for another 4 min .
- Now switch off the stove and allow it to cool till the pressure releases.
- To a hot saute pan add 2 tbsp of oil/coconut oil and add mustard seeds to it.
- After the mustard seeds splutter add channa dal (let it change color ).
- Add green chilies ,hing and saute for a min.
- Add the grated coconut and saute it for a min or two.
- Now switch off the heat and add the cooled rice .
- Add required salt and mix them thoroughly.
- Coconut rice is ready.
- Rice should be at room temperature before you add it to coconut .
- You can add coconut oil for tempering which gives extra flavor.
- Dont cook the coconut too much when you add it saute pan.
Preparation time:5 min.
Cooking time:20-25 min.
- 2 large potatoes(pressure cooked for 3 whistles)
- 1 small Onion.
- 1/2 country tomato.
- A pinch of turmeric.
- 1 garlic pod.
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder.
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal.
- few curry leaves/ curry leaves powder.
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 2 -3 whistles until they are soft (not mushy)
- Cut them in to 1 inch pieces.
- Cut the onions and tomatoes in to small pieces as well.
- Add oil to the heated tava and add the items "to temper".
- Add onions,garlic and saute them until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook them thorough.
- Add chili powder,cumin powder and turmeric and saute till the raw smell of the masala subsides.
- Add little water and add required salt.
- After the water boiles and reduce in quantity add the cooked cut potatoes.
- Cover them with a lid and cook for another 5 -8 min until the potatoes absorb all the masalas.
- Potatoes should be coated and it should not have any water.
- Potato fry is ready..
- Enjoy your lunch.
- If the potatoes are not cooked allow them to cook before you add it to masala.
- Potato fry should be dry . So cook the fry until it absorbs all the water.