I Never saw this bean variety before,it happened to me one fine day .I was surprised to see it and i got it with a curiosity how it will be .I guess they taste a bit different from our regular curry beans and taste similar like "asparagus" which i never tasted .You can add some peanuts while tempering if you like little crunchiness while eating this veggie .
Its called long beans but according to me the taste is little different than our regular beans .When i searched for it wikipedia says Its also called "yard long beans","Chinese long beans" ,"Pea bean" ,"Snake bean".
I am returning to my schedule slowly and will be posting as usual very soon .So until then please be patient.
Looking for some easy sidedish then try
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking time:15-20 min
- 10-12 long beans(use fresh one)
- 1 1/2 tsp sambhar powder
- salt as required
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds/Kadugu
- 1/2 tsp urad dal /uluntham parrupu
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wash the long beans well using a wide bowl .
- Cut them in to 2 inch long pieces (for easy cutting take a bunch of them like 10 and cut them).
- Heat the tava and add oil to it .
- Add mustard seeds .let them splutter
- Add urad dal .Let it change colour .
- Add the washed and cut long beans and stir in high flame for 5 minutes.
- Make the flame low and cover it with lid and cook for another 5 minutes .
- Add sambhar powder ( spice of your choice) and mix them thorough .
- Keep the flame low and cook it for another 7-8 minutes .
- Finally add the required salt and mix it well together .
- Enjoy it with your favourite rice variety .
- Don't pressure cook this beans then they will become spongy and lose its taste and texture .
- If you don't have sambhar powder add 1/2 tsp chili and 1/2 tsp coriander powder.
- If you wish to have these for your curd rice ,you can increase the spice level too.