Spinach dhal,Simple dhal or whatever dhal it is ,its so yummy .I love andhra style dhal ,that too when its served in nandhini ,i can have the whole meal only with dhal as an accompaniment for rice.The amount of ghee they serve along with the dhal makes it even more yummier.I usually do dhal very often to include mung dhal in our diet .Because we south indians dont do much varieties with mung dhal except kootu that too with added kadala parupu .But andhra cooking has lots of dhal varieties this dhal .
This methi dhal is very easy to make and it goes well with all the mains you make like idli,dosa,idiyappam ,roti,chapathi,rice etc . so i call this one as all in one dhal
When you add some green to dhal kids dont see them much or cant throw the greens away .So this can be better way to include greens to your kids diet .Do try it and let me know how your family loved it .
Preparation time:10-20 min
Cooking time:15 min
- 1/2 cup fenugreekleaves(loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup mung dal/pasiparupu/Split greengram
- 1 inch ginger/ingi
- 4 green chilies/pacha milagai
- 1 garlic cloves/poondu
- 1 onion /vengayam
- 1 tomato/thakkali
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp sambhar powder(chili powder and corinader powder would do )
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee ( i use oil)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/kadugu
- 1 tsp jeera/Cumin seeds/jeeragam
- Pressure cook mung dal with turmeric and water (add oil if the dal takes time to cook)
- Chop onion and tomato and slit the green chilies fine.
- Make ginger garlic paste by chopping ginger and garlic fine .
- Clean fenugreek leaves by washing them in water(there will be fine sand particles present so clean them thorough).
- I usually don't chop the leaves .You can chop the leaves if you wish not to see them in dhal.
- Heat the tava and add oil/ghee to it .
- Add onions and green chilies stir them well .
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute it .
- Saute onions and ginger garlic until onions become transparent.
- Add chopped tomato and saute it until it becomes mushy .
- Add the fenugreekleaves/methi and saute it until it shrinks .
- Add sambhar powder and stir well.
- Now add the cooked dhal and add enough water to it .
- Add required salt and check for salt and spice .
- When the dhal boils serve it with your favourite mains(idli,dosa,roti,rice).
- Clean the fenugreek leaves well as it has some fine sand particles present.
- Chop the leaves if you don't want to see the leaves in dhal(i usually don't chop them).
- Adjust the fenugreek leaves(reduce) amount if you want more dhal than greens.
- These dhal is better served with rice and roti .If serving it with rice add little more spice and salt .
- If you wish to see step by step pics check Spinach dhal recipe