Ads by google

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Beetroot chutney

Beetroot is a wonderful vegetable which increases blood flow and it contains beta carotine. That said its really difficult to get my daughter to eat beetroot. I have to come up with creative ways to include beets in different recipes. My mom used to make beetroot chutney and I remember that we used to like it. I made this chutney and to my amazement my daughter asked for a second helping.
I am pretty sure that your kids would love this too.




Preparation time:5 min
Cooking time:10 min
Serves:2-3



Ingredients:

  • 1 medium size beetroot
  • 1 large Onion.
  • 3 red chilies.
  • 1-2 tbsp grated coconut.
  • oil for tempering
  • salt as required

To Temper:

  • 1/2  tsp Mustard seeds.
  • 1/2  tsp Urad dal.

Method:

  • Remove the beetroot skin by peeling it  and grate the peeled beetroot fine .
  • Cut the onion in to 1 inch pieces.
  • Heat the sauce pan and add oil to it.
  • Temper the oil with items" to temper".
  • Add onion and chilies and saute until onions are traslucent.
  • Add beetroot and saute them for 5 min till the raw smell dissipates.
  • Finally add coconut and saute for a minute.
  • Cool the mixture and grind it with required salt.


  • Beetroot chutney is ready to be served.
  • Serve it with Idly , Dosa, Chappathi.
  • You use this as a spread for Sandwiches .


You might be intrested in Beetroot kola,Varamilagai chutney


 



10 comments:

  1. I know kids love colored chutney.I too love anything made of beet :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes dear .They are very much fond of colors.

      Delete
  2. My other half have issues with beets therefore I seldom use it. Yet when he is not around, I will make this simple chutney and enjoy it all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try carrot chutney also in similar lines.. i never grinded carrot but only grated it, grind the other ingredients along with some garlic cloves. Add few more dals to the seasoning and rest of the process is same. Finally add lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dhatri ,for your suggestion .Will def try ur recipe.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Healthy chutney.Thanks for linking it to Gayathri's WTML Event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super healthy and delicious chutney, love this colorful and yummy chutney...

    ReplyDelete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...