Ads by google

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Summa Kuzhambu- Chettinad Delicacy

Summa Kuzhambu (சும்மா குழம்பு ) in tamil literally means gravy made out of no veggies or just like that you can make this gravy. You will find this dish only in a Chettinad Kitchen.

This  gravy is very easy to digest. In Chettinad you will see this gravy being fed to women after child birth and even sick people.

Me and my dad love this gravy and I used to beg my mom often to make this gravy when I was little. This is my Father-in-law's all time favorites. When I mentioned about my food blog, he asked me to publish this recipe. So this is going to be your favorite too . I made this gravy as a side for Dosa couple of days ago and I wanted to share it with you.


Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 10-15 min
Serves: 2-3



Ingredients:

  • 1 Large Onion
  • 1/2 country tomatoes
  • 2 garlic pods
  • 1/4 tsp tamarind paste.
  • 1 tbsp sambar powder.
  • salt as required 
  • oil for tempering

To Temper:

  • 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds.
  • 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds.

Method:

  • Finely chop Onions and Tomatoes.
  • Add oil to a hot sauce pan.
  • Add the items "To Temper" ( Make sure that the mustard seeds sputter before adding the rest ).
  • Add onions and saute until translucent.
  • Add tomatoes and cook them thoroughly until soft.
  • Add sambar powder and saute it till the raw smell of the masala dissipates.
  • Add 1 cup of water to the mixture.
  • Add tamarind and required salt .
  • In medium heat let the gravy come to a boil, once the gravy boils switch the heat off.


  • This a watery gravy which makes it very unique.
  • You can have it with Idly, Dosa, Upma or rice.






Note:

  • Taste for heat , salt and tamarind before boiling the gravy.
You might be intrested in tangy Drumstick gravy,Okra curry


                                                                            






11 comments:

  1. Summa kuzhambu :)) love the name.We too make something similar for idly /dosa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name itself is diff right .I have a tough time choosing blog post heading:)

      Delete
  2. Summa kozhambu looks super easy.Thanks for linking this to Gayathri's WTML Event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plain gravy is much welcomed by us. Its loved for the wonderful outcome. I usually add brinjals because that way, I don't have to make a side veg dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i too love easy and delicious side dishes .Good plan to add brinjals too.

      Delete
  4. lovely gravy.. I too love such plain gravies.. As u said ideal as side dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gravy looks very yummy. love this delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats a nice name and the kulambhu looks so delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom makes this kuzhambu often, i love with rice and papads very much.

    ReplyDelete

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...