Black bean is a staple mexican legume. It has many benefits like other legumes, good protein-fiber combination. One cup of black bean gives more than half of the required protein-fiber combination according to whfoods. Its helps to maintain blood sugar levels and also helps the cardiovascular system.
Us mom's prefer easy and healthy breakfast dishes. If you want to have a healthy breakfast/snack other than sundal (boiled legumes) try this. This Patty can be eaten as a snack/breakfast along with chutney /hot sauce of your choice along with fresh veggies like lettuce,spinach. Got some more patties left ?You can store them in your fridge to eat as a snack.
I used only black beans you can add potatoes instead of breadcrumbs for binding the beans.You can add hot sauce or cayenne pepper instead of red chili powder.For potato patties check here
Looking for chutneys or dips ? Mint cilantro chutney,Beetroot chutney,Carrot chutney
Preparation time:5 min+8 hours(soaking the beans)
Cooking time:30-40 min
Yields:8-9 large patties of your plam size
- 1 cup black bean(soaked overnight).
- 1 green chili.
- 1/2 tsp chili .powder
- Salt as required.
- Pepper to taste.
- 1 Onion thinly sliced.
- Few coriander leaves.
- 1-2 garlic pods.
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs+for coating.
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Soak black beans overnight
- Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles or until oft
- Drain excess water and mash it well
- Add thinly chopped onion,salt,2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Add thinly sliced garlic ,chili powder,pepper,Coriander leaves as well.
- Mix well and form the mixture into a patty.
- Heat the tava and add 1 tbsp oil to it.
- Coat the patty in bread crumbs.
- Sear/Roast them in tava until golden brown on both the sides by adding oil to both sides .
- Serve it with green chutney.
- Mash black bean well ,the patty will be creamy then.
- You can add grated cheese as well to the patty (add little more hot sauce or chili powder ).
- Add breadcrumbs to hold the patty together.
- You can use potatoes instead of bread crumbs as a binder.
Linking this to Simplytadkas Event
Sending these recipe to family foodie event :healthy snack happening at Eatyourveg and bangermash