Plantain chips-My very favorite, right from childhood.Dad gets it whenever he visits iyappan temple.Plantain chips are really addictive, can't stop with one packet he he.
Remember my raw banana post?was telling you the difference between raw banana and plantain.
I love most kerala items be it unniyappam.puttu,avial,idiyappam,appam,this nendran chips, i love them all.Making plantain chips is really easy, no hard and fast rules.Let's get to the recipe.
How to choose plantain:
- Choose green ones not dotted or soft,these may spoil the texture of your chips.
- Peeling the skin may be little difficult but sure you can get it out without spoiling the plantain.
Where to get plantains?
- Plantains are available in every indian store or any grocery store.
Plantain chips recipe | Kerala nendran chipsHow to make plantain chips
Cuisine: Indian Category:Snack Serves:2 Prep time:5 minutes Cook time:15 minutes Total time:20 minutes.
- 1 plantain.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 2 tsp water.
- 1/8 tsp of turmeric.
- oil for deep frying.
- Peel the skin off ,by giving a slit on two sides.Then remove the peel.
- Cut the plantain in to even thin slices.First i was worried the slices were too thin,but later it seemed like perfect.
- Mix water ,turmeric and salt together.Keep it ready.
- Add one batch of plantains to hot oil .Let it cook until the oozing sounds stops or the oil stops bubbling.
- Add a tsp of water mixture to oil.Be careful !! this will splash the oil out.You can cover it with a lid if you are really scared or want your stove to be less messy.
- When you no longer hear the sound ,take the chips out and drain it in kitchen towels.
- Repeat this process for the entire batch.
- Remember for the next batch reduce the amount of water mixture because the oil has already salt in it,right?.
- Tada !!! Plantain chips is ready.Keep it in airtight container until use..
- oh !!! chips got over before you fry the next batch ?.Make a fresh batch like i did.
- Throw the oil away, because it is salted.
- You can add salt at last after frying but anyway u need to add turmeric to the oil?.
More to come...
Stay updated by joining the email list
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...