Ads by google

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pongal




Pongal takes me down memory lane to my college days. Us hostelers used to eat pongal on Tuesdays for breakfast. We had a hard time keeping awake in class after eating pongal. I remember that I used to ask questions in classes just to keep awake. 

That said I assure you that this recipe wont be heavy, due to the seasonings used. This is a simple and a fast recipe cooked in a pressure cooker. Its also very nutritious. I tweaked my mom and mother in laws recipe and came up with this.





Cooking time:15 min
Serves:2-3


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup raw rice (sona masoori).
  • 1/2 cup split green gram dal.
  • 5 cups water.
To temper:

  • 1 Small piece Ginger.
  • 1 Green chillis.
  • 1/2 tbsp black pepper.
  • 1/2 tbsp Jeera.
  • 1 tbsp Ghee.
Method:
  • Wash the rice and dal separately. 

  • Add 5 cups of water to the dal rice mixture.

  • Pressure cook it for 2 whistle (if you want a little thick consistency) otherwise reduce the water and cook it for 1 whistle.
  • Add  ghee to the sauce pan.
  • Grind the jeera and pepper and add it to ghee and saute for 1 min.
  • Add green chillis and ginger and saute for 1 min.
  • Add the tempered mixture to the cooked pongal.
  • Add salt to pongal and mix well.





  • Pongal is ready to be served.

  • I made Sambar as the side dish.
  • I sometimes add raisins to the pongal to offset the spice for my daughter.
Note:

  • Pongal has to be cooked well (mushy) 
  • Add more water than cooking the normal rice.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Always love your word of appreciation.Mail to me or drop a comment here.Thanks for visiting my blog and Stay updated by joining the email list
You can also join MyKitchenodyssey @ "face book,pinterest,networked blogs,my taste.in,Google"
Don't forget to tell your friends by sharing ...
.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...